Time Travel/Alternate Timelines Explanation

A tale of MegaMan, Head-of-the-Author, and Roll, Author, Light, and Real-Author (also known as littlebeast), and Amanda, and 8-Bit Author... Gah! Too many authors !

Moderator: littlebeast

Time Travel/Alternate Timelines Explanation

Postby Jorlem » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:09 am

How did Jorlem get back to the ship? He was fighting down in the park in comic 220.
Last edited by Jorlem on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jorlem
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby Amon Star » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:03 pm

No, it's not a plot hole, it parallel time lines. The battle on the ship is a part of the original time line. The one in the park is the other time line, the one where Littlebeast travels back in time.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Postby Jorlem » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:31 pm

To quote George, "I hate time travel".
So, Jorlem went back with them? *winces slightly*
Jorlem has had bad experiences with time travel before. He wouldn't time travel unless it was absolutely necessary.
Though, I had the impression that only that author had time traveled, and he had gathered up some of the group in the ship, and took them to the park. I don't remember him taking them/us through time.

(Also, if anyone is interested, Jorlem's backstory is up on my Mayhem wiki page. Take a look.)
Jorlem
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby littlebeast » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:35 am

No, what happened is, Author went back in time, and split it into two timelines.

No one else came back, nor did they need to.

Jorlem did NOT time travel, and in fact, he probably doesn't even realize there's a parallel-timeline version of him running around on the ship (or in the park, depending how you look at it.)
Obligatory link to my comic
I have currently have 1 ninja point here.
Current status: Nincada.
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Jorlem » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:22 am

Ah, ok, thanks.
Let me see if I have this straight.
There is the fight aboard the ship, with the fireworks attracting the droids, and what happened after that.
Sometime later, Author goes back in time, and the moment he arrives the timeline splits into two timelines, the original one with the droids discovering the ship and attacking, and the second one where we all go to the park, and attack the droids there.
So, there is only one of everybody, and no one is in two places at once, and they can never meet up with their alternate timeline self, barring some device that allows for the crossing of timelines.

Or, was it more of a Copy/Paste thing that Time Author did, without anyone else knowing, so that when the park is freed, it will be freed for both groups, not just the group that freed it?
Jorlem
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby littlebeast » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:36 am

The first one. Very much the first one.

...Though, I wouldn't be so quick to bar that device :P
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Jorlem » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks. :)
I actually originally had a comment in parenthesis saying something along the lines of "though with all of the dimension crossing that's been going on, it probably wouldn't be very difficult." Not quite sure why I removed that. *shrugs*

Anyway, does this mean we need to save TMA twice, once for each timeline?
Jorlem
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby Amon Star » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:16 am

Jorlem wrote:Thanks. :)
I actually originally had a comment in parenthesis saying something along the lines of "though with all of the dimension crossing that's been going on, it probably wouldn't be very difficult." Not quite sure why I removed that. *shrugs*

Anyway, does this mean we need to save TMA twice, once for each timeline?
I get the impression that the first timeline is DOOMED due to treachery & misinterpreting the prophesy. However, we're still seeing it play out up until Author goes back in time to put it right. At the point the first timeline will effective cease to exist. In truth, it will merely turn into pure potentia held together by temporal memory.

However, that is an assumption based on my guess at the nature of time in the TMA world. If time is like it is in the Marvel Reality, then both timelines are equally valid & neither will cease to exist, as one example. I have insufficient data to form an accurate hypothesis.

BTW, I like time travel, Amon dislikes it.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Postby Jorlem » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:04 pm

Amon Star wrote:BTW, I like time travel, Amon dislikes it.

Heh. Same here, actually. I enjoy thinking through the problems it can cause, the intellectual puzzles it poses. My problem here was that I didn't realize that we had two timelines going in parallel. Was there something in the comic, or in the comments that I missed?
Incidentally, have you ever read The Time Patrol by Poul Anderson? Its one of my favorite time travel novels.
Jorlem
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby littlebeast » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:37 am

Jorlem wrote:Anyway, does this mean we need to save TMA twice, once for each timeline?

No, once is enough. :)

Amon Star wrote:I get the impression that the first timeline is DOOMED due to treachery & misinterpreting the prophesy.

Yeah, pretty much.

Amon Star wrote:However, we're still seeing it play out up until Author goes back in time to put it right. At the point the first timeline will effective cease to exist. In truth, it will merely turn into pure potentia held together by temporal memory.

However, that is an assumption based on my guess at the nature of time in the TMA world. If time is like it is in the Marvel Reality, then both timelines are equally valid & neither will cease to exist, as one example. I have insufficient data to form an accurate hypothesis.

Well, it won't actually stop existing, but it'll be VERY hard to actually access it. So, while it's technically there, it'd be so hard to get to it (and with no real reward) that no one would bother.
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Hogan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 am

littlebeast wrote:
Jorlem wrote:Anyway, does this mean we need to save TMA twice, once for each timeline?

No, once is enough. :)

But perhaps you get more chances to do it right! :wink:
Last edited by Hogan on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Amon Star » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Jorlem wrote:
Amon Star wrote:BTW, I like time travel, Amon dislikes it.
Heh. Same here, actually. I enjoy thinking through the problems it can cause, the intellectual puzzles it poses. My problem here was that I didn't realize that we had two timelines going in parallel. Was there something in the comic, or in the comments that I missed?
Incidentally, have you ever read The Time Patrol by Poul Anderson? Its one of my favorite time travel novels.
It was implied that there was two timeline when Littlebeast started to do two updates. Here is the 'start' of the doomed timeline, while here id the start of the new timeline.

No, I haven't read that novel, I'm afraid. However, I will add it to the list.
littlebeast wrote: *Snip*
Amon Star wrote:However, we're still seeing it play out up until Author goes back in time to put it right. At the point the first timeline will effective cease to exist. In truth, it will merely turn into pure potentia held together by temporal memory.

Well, it won't actually stop existing, but it'll be VERY hard to actually access it. So, while it's technically there, it'd be so hard to get to it (and with no real reward) that no one would bother.
So similar to Marvel, but with less cross contamination. However, I can think of at least one organisation that may become VERY interested in the old timeline.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Return to Too Many Authors